Monday, July 29, 2013

Havana/Marley Twists Review

 For like a month I kept going back and forth on what protective style to do and finally decided on Havana/Marley Twists because I really like that boho dread head look and desperately want to dread my hair one day. It was a really smooth process and didn't take long at all to put my extensions in....








RESULTS






 I used about 4 bags of the Janet Collection number 33 Burgundy and only used one piece instead of two because I didn't want them too thick.  My hair's pretty thick on its own already.  Originally, I set the ends on perm rods in hot water to get that curly look, but ended up just twisting them down as far as I could and knotting them.




                  PROS


  • They are very simple to put in and it took me about 4 1/2 to 5 hours to install on myself, on another person it takes about 2-3 hours both including time to wash and deep condition.
  • They don't put too much stress on the head. One of the biggest reasons I chose Havana Twists is because they don't stress my edges as much as braids or even Senegalese twists. I hate having super tight braids and having to wait for them to loosen up so I could do updos or even popping Tylenol in order to deal with the pain.
  • They look extremely natural using the invisible method. Even with the burgundy color in my hair people would still ask me, "How long it took for me to grow out my dreads" or "If that was my real hair".  As much as I like the burgundy color on me the next time I do these twists I'll do just the black or a dark brown so it looks more natural. 
  • Thickness. You get a great full look with just a few packs of hair.
  •  Easy to take out, and you can reuse the hair.

             CONS

  • The hair is kinda pricey about $4-$6 a bag.
  •  With a lot of hair comes heat. The thickness definitely attracts heat and they can get a little hot.  
  • The hair can get tangled very easily. I know some people wash them hair or even start the Havanas with the braid method. I would advise against both because the hair can get extremely tangled and it can create unnecessary frizz and well as make it harder to take down, and braiding at the root it makes it a little bit harder to install.
  •  The hair comes in a generic length meaning you won't be able to get extremely long Havanas. Even with stretching they as long as possible the Havanas just won't be so long they touch your knees. Plus these twists are a bit heavy and you wouldn't want all that weight in your head. 


Hair Styles

Just a few different styles you can do with your own Havanas. I wish I did a lot more styles but summer school just wouldn't let me.






Havana Twists Hairstyles (A Guide To Havana Twists) 4


Havana twist-Donuts-coiffure pro-protective style-natural ahir-Brownskin
Havana twist-Brownskin

See more styles on her blog BROWNSKIN

Havana Twists Hairstyles (A Guide To Havana Twists) 2

More styles on HairDiva
My summer style! havana twists | havana twists | TumblrCurly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Natural Hair Care: 2012-06-24Marley | Havana twist done by me! Elegant up do!
Janelle Monae inspired! This look can be done with havana twists, marley twists, senegalese twists, box braids, and even long natural hair.  Love the hair? I have a tutorial on how to do Havana Twists / Marley Twists here: http://youtu.be/cn1VnJrjwKw  Check out my channel and natural hair transition and natural hairstyles: http://www.youtube.com... 




1 comment:

  1. Love this post!! I've done havana twists and I LOVE THEM! I'm going to try to put some color in them this time!

    P.S. I love the font of your posts, looks so cool!

    Peace Sis!

    ReplyDelete