Wednesday, August 14, 2013

My Current Natural Hair Staples




I get questions alllllllll the time from people asking me what I put in my hair and to be completely honest I use so many different product combinations depending on the style or look that I'm going for. But after 3 years of trying products dealing with disappointments, bad hair days, taming the frizz, and the changes my hair endures I have finally found products that help me deal with my hair issues...






CLEANSING



Shampoo

Okay I used to be one of those naturals who was completely against the idea of shampooing their hair due to the nature of it stripping you of its natural oils. Also through my experience of trying various shampoos my hair would feel so dry and brittle even with some of the "sulfate-free" natural brands that I would just say no.

Then I discovered Terressentials Bentonite Clay Wash



 Each one of the Hair washes does a different thing. The lemon is for moisture and definition, lavender is great for detangling and moisture, mint and fragrance free for definition and moisture, and the sultry spice is for individuals for have more of the finer, straight textures such as 1-2cs. 

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the mint it resurrected my hair after my color fiasco and have been a lover of it ever since.


Pros:
  • Gives me a great detox without noticeably stripping my hair
  • My definition is absolutely amazzzingg
  • Moisturizes my hair
  • Gives me a nice wash n go using it by itself
  • Worth the $$$

Cons:
  • It doesn't lather. 
  • It's literally mud and can be a bit messy
  • A little goes a long way, and too much can result in having a crunch. When they say 1 teaspoon or tablespoon they mean it. I find myself sometimes putting too much in my hair cause I'm used to using a lot of product. I've had this product since last December and I'm still using the same 8 oz I bought.


I used to use Terressentials ever week but now I alternate every week between that and my BOBEAM shampoo bar. 







When I first saw it I was like. "I'm going to use this whole bar in one or two uses" lol. But it's actually very good and cost efficient. The one that I currently use is the Honey and Oats Shampoo Bar.


Pros:
  •  It's a shampoo and it doesn't noticeably strip my hair. Usually I get a waxy feeling on my hair or it just feel dry but this bar leaves my hair moisturized.
  • Inexpensive and it works
  • Nourishing and leaves my hair soft
  • Creamy lather
  • The woman who makes the bar is very sweet :)

Cons:
  •  I really don't have any cons with this product I'm extremely satisfied with it. But I'm mindful that it is a bar and it can get used up quickly depending on how much you shampoo and how many times you decide to lather your head. But for the most part this product can go a long way. 
Check out the Honey and Oats Shampoo Bar and her other products
 Bobeam Products  and her blog ALL NAPTURAL


CONDITIONING

Since I have color on my hair I deep condition every week to insure that my hair is moisturized. I deep condition first, shampoo, and then use regular conditioner on my hair, by doing that I minimize tangles and lock in moisture.  My current deep conditioner is the Olive Moisture Mask by Komaza Care



 Pros:
  • The Price, for the amount you get of product for the price is very very good. I take that into consideration a lot when it comes to deep conditioners and stylers. I have a lot of hair and I want to get the most bang for my buck.
  • The smell is absolutely amazing and after I DC (deep condition) I get a lot of compliments on how good my hair smells
  • Very smooth, light, and moisturizing 

Cons:
  • You use quite a bit of product in order to insure that your hair is coated
  • This isn't a product where I would just throw a shower cap on my head and call it a day. The best (to me) way to DC with this product is to use heat or steam your head in the shower.
Other than those two things I really don't have a problem with the product it gets the job done and it leaves my hair feeling soft and moisturized.

Read More at KomazaCare.com


My regular conditioner is the Jane Carter Nutrient Replenshing Conditioner


Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner

 After my color ordeal I had to switch my conditioners up and I instantly fell in love with it.

Pros:
  • Affordable, you can find it at Target the small size $13.99 and the 50% more for $16.99
  • Smells good, soft, smooth, and creamy
  • Feels great on the scalp
  • You can deep conditioner with it
  • Color safe
  • Moisturizing
Cons: None
My hair loves this product and you can't tell me nothing otherwise. I try other conditioners every once in awhile but they just don't make my hair feel as good as this product. So if you're looking to try a new conditioner I definitely  recommend this one. 



Leave-In Conditioner

I am currently on a quest for an amazing leave- in that I only have to put in my hair once and that leaves my hair feeling silky smooth, soft, hydrated, and looks moisturized. In the meantime I'm currently using the Koils by Nature Moisturizing Shealoe Leave- in





Pros:
  • Leaves your hair feeling soft
  • Light and doesn't weigh your hair down
  • Smells very sweet
  • Creamy and smooth
  • Natural product
  • Works great as light leave-in with my wash n go
Cons:
  • The price is a bit steep around $20
Overall this product is good, but I feel as if there is something better out there. I tend to have to reapply this product 2-3 times a day to ensure that my hair is still soft and moisturized. I know people rave about this product but to me its just gets the job done, nothing too special about it. But that's me.

Read More at koilsbynature.com and naturallycurly.com



STYLERS


For my Twist outs and Braids outs I use the Curl Junkie Honey Butta



Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta


Pros:
  • This stuff is super smooth, hydrating, and leaves your twists and braids looking moisturized
  • It smells good (this is an important factor to me)
  • You only need a little bit, you might over saturate your hair if you do
  • Can be used as a leave-in
  • The creamy consistency makes it great for twisting
  • Has a good hold
  • Creates great definition
  • Minimizes my frizz
Cons:
  • Price, can cost anywhere from $20-23 
I like this product a lot and other than price I have no problems with it. It leaves my hair feeling extremely soft, gives me amazing definition, and I usually don't have to put anything in my hair til day 2 or 3.
You can read more and see pictures in my Product Review or at Curljunkie.com


WASH N GO

Lastly, for wash n gos I use non other than Curly Magic by Uncle Funky's Daughter.  Curly Magic is soooo much better than Eco Styler and most importantly I like the way it makes my hair feel.





 Pros:
  • Leaves my hair feeling soft and moisturized as opposed to feeling crunchy
  • After day one my hair can go through humidity, rain, and bad sleeping and still have definition to it
  • You can twist with it 
  • Has moisturizing ingredients in it
  • Excellent hold
  • Smells good
  • A little goes a long way, so with pricing and how much you get its not too bad
  • Has a pump, I prefer the pump over a bottle top any day. Helps with getting just enough out for your hair.
Cons:
  • The product is very sticky and messy. So be mindful of that.
  • The directions say, use on soaking wet hair. They mean that. My best results come from having my hair drenched. I just have a spray bottle on stand by to rewet my hair.
  • My biggest thing with the Curly magic is that it sometimes flakes up or turns white depending on what your leave in is. The Koils by Nature Shealoe Leave-in that I use is great with it and doesn't flake. Also the leave-ins for their line works well with it, naturally.
 My hair looks like CurlyNaturalBeauty's and I love how soft my hair feels after the product dries. Instead of letting it air dry I typically diffuse it and call it a day.


 Read CurlyNaturalBeauty's review and blog at curlynaturallybeautiful.blogspot.com
Also check out Unclefunkysdaughter.com for list of ingredients, purchasing, and how tos.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment